HEALTHCARE DATA SECURITY
PROTECTING PATIENT’S LIVES
Healthcare Data Security
With the risk of Medical ID Theft so high, modern medical practices need far more that a “minimum compliance” mentality. The effectiveness of your training program can literally mean life and death for your patients. Simply printing off forms and checking off boxes doesn’t mean employees are going to handle sensitive data more safely. Employees must “buy in” to your program! They need to understand the “why behind the what!” The Federal Trade Commission calls it a “Culture of Security.”
Identity Theft Countermeasures Group, LLC has been training employees on data security and identity theft prevention for over a decade. We’ve surveyed thousands of employees after they’ve attended our training and come to this conclusion: boring training conducted by “non-experts” is a waste of time. Unless the employee is engaged emotionally, they won’t change their behavior. We’ve spent a decade in the lab creating the most effective data security training program that exists today! We create “human firewalls” by literally shaping the way staff members think about identity theft and data security!
Consider these facts:
- “Medical Identity Theft is the crime that can kill you!” – World Health Organization
- “In 2011, 96% of all medical facilities admitted to some sort of data breach.” – The Ponemon Institute
- “49% of all medical ID Theft victims lose their medical insurance” – The Ponemon Institute
- “28% of medical ID Theft Victims suffer misdiagnosis or wrongful treatment” – The Ponemon Institute
- “On average, medical ID Theft costs it’s victims over $20,000.00” – The Ponemon Institute
According to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Annual Report to Congress on Breaches of Unsecured Protected Health Information, THEFT was once again the most commonly reported cause of large breaches in healthcare organizations.
- 545,000,000 is the number of lost or stolen records since 2005
- $56.6 Billion annually is the cost to business from data breaches
- 96% of data breaches are avoidable through simple and immediate controls
- 89% of victims have not achieved compliance
- 68% of breaches occurred within companies under 1,000 employees
- 78% of breach cases last year involved in-person contact
- $200 is the average cost of a lost record
“Due to an overwhelming task list of compliance standards, security practices continue to have a “checklist” mentality rather than a more solid foundation based improvement in the day-to-day handling of personal health information (PHI).”2012 HIMSS ANALYTICS REPORT: Security of Patient Data
To schedule training for your team fill out the application form or Call (888) 789-2199 ext 701
To Learn More!