REALTOR DATA SAFETY
DEFENDING THE AMERICAN DREAM
REALTOR DATA SAFETY
PROTECTING THE AMERICAN DREAM
Realtors are the conduit to the American Dream of Home ownership. Not only are Realtors trusted with our most important purchase, they are trusted experts who hold the key to our most personal data. In the past, when it came to our identity information, trust was freely given. Those days are quickly fading in the wake of an unceasing barrage of data breaches showing up in the news. It seems we can’t go one day without hearing about how a trusted company was hacked or how a dishonest employee stole personal information and used it to commit identity theft.
Risky Realtors – Training Prevents Tragedy
- According to The National Association of Realtors, a property management firm paid $15,000 in fines as a result of lost data.
- Richardson Realty Group in Washington mistakenly exposed 108 records when an untrained employee discarded sensitive files without shredding them.
- Maloney Properties in Massachusetts severely damaged their reputation when a stolen laptop resulted in the exposure of 600 client files.
- Cabarjal Realty Inc in Texas came under fire for their lack of electronic security after a hacker stole 3 database dumps containing rental and payment information. The hacker then posed them for sale online.
- Developers Diversified Realty in Beachwood, Ohio was humiliated after an untrained employee accidentally mailed 1099 forms to the wrong individuals. 4,000 records were compromised.
- Prudential Patterson Realty, Inc of Missouri were devastated when they received the news that an untrained agent dumped an unknown number of files into a dumpster while single handedly destroying years of hard earned trust with their clients.
“97% OF DATA BREACHES ARE AVOIDABLE WITH SIMPLE TRAINING”2012 Data Breach Investigations Report - Verizon Risk Team
WE MUST TAKE PROACTIVE ACTION!
State & Federal Laws dictate how members of the Real Estate Industry are to safely retain & dispose of documents containing sensitive data. Whether it’s a rental application, a contract for sale or purchase, a binder check or mortgage information, if it contains sensitive information, it’s like loose piles of cash in the hands of a thief. Not only does the government want you to train on protecting sensitive information prior to a data breach, Florida law requires you to let ALL customers know if their records are exposed.
Statistics show that breaches are most likely when data is held in easily accessible forms like paper files, mobile devices & computer hard drives. Yet according to Florida Statutes, brokers must retain at least one legible copy of all accounts and records of their real estate brokerage business for at least five years from the date of contract execution. Through hard copy retention of this data, realtors are at higher risk for external data breach and client identity theft.
The Remedy: With identity theft at nearly pandemic levels, Federal and State law makers have passed stringent laws governing realtors and brokers. Failure to comply can have a devastating impact on your brokerage’s finances and reputation. Our training staff is committed to ensure that your team has the knowledge, policies and procedures to reduce the risk of a data breach. The stakes are high and so are our standards.
Your Real Estate Office Qualifies For A No-Cost, Grant Based Training!
Your Agents Will Learn The Following:
- To identify the different types of sensitive information
- To understand why data must be protected
- The different identity theft laws affecting realtors & brokers
- What constitutes a data breach and why they occur
- To identify relevant “Red Flags” or “Warning Signs” of ID Theft
- Implement concrete action steps to immediately reduce risk
- To differentiate between the 24 different types of identity theft
- How to protect themselves and their families
Our Grant Based Training Includes:
Comprehensive Risk Assessment
Customized on-site risk assessment of all departments and office locations. Our data security experts have a keen eye for spotting “at risk” data. We will create a comprehensive written report for your review addressing every aspect of your operation.
A Written Identity Theft Prevention Program
Custom made Identity Theft Prevention Plan Workbooks for your office will be printed for each employee with your logo on the front.
Live Employee / Agent Training
If behavior is going to change, we have to impact team members at a visceral level so they engage in an emotional “buy-in” to the program. We implement comprehensive, interactive and efficient employee training that results in a corporate culture shift. When employees think differently about the data they handle, they handle the data differently! Our training is not only effective but it’s fast. We will have your employees fully trained and back to work within in an hour and a half.
Not only is your real estate team responsible for the actions of its own employees, it’s responsible for actions of your 3rd party vendor employees as well. What if a dishonest insider steals data while working for one of your vendors? What if they simply make a mistake? Unfortunately, your organization can be liable for the damage because you hired them. Let us help you ensure that your vendors are secure by preforming a thorough vendor audit.
One thing’s for sure, personnel changes happen on a continual basis. Our commitment is to become a long-term part of your organization’s “Culture of Security.” We continue to provide support by training new employees and retraining existing ones as new threats arise.
Want to apply for a no cost training grant?
It only takes a few moments, FILL OUT THE INFORMATION FORM and let us know your interested in a No Cost – Grant Based Training!
Or Call (888) 789-2199 Ext. 701
Executive Briefing Today